May 13, 2018

Kenzie's 8th Birthday Trip

 We surprised Kenzie the weekend before her birthday with a special trip to Lincoln City with just her and mom and dad! We picked her up early from school and we didn't tell her where we were taking her. I sat in the back with her and we talked about school and friends and listened to Taylor Swift. She eventually figured out where we were going and she was so excited!
 We stayed at Ashley Inn and it was a great location to walk to the beach. We unpacked and headed straight for the beach! It was perfect weather, a little cold but not too much to get our feet wet and run around. 

 We were all beaming and so excited to spend time together and focus all our attention and time on Kenzie girl. Yes she might be getting older, but she still holds our hands and calls me mommy so I'm not worried at all!
 I love this photo of me and her at our happy place, the beach! We had the whole place practically to ourselves.
 Nick and I were pretty happy to get to spend time together too. Our anniversary is the day before Kenzie's birthday, so we counted this trip as our anniversary trip too. 

 She was running and splashing in the waves and having the best time getting all her energy out at the beach! I love how much energy and smiles and laughs this one has. She is so happy and energetic and I love that about her. She brightens up anyones day with her beautiful smile. 
 She told me she was drawing a dinosaur footprint to trick people into thinking there were dinosaurs at the beach. 
 She had a mouth full of chocolate in this picture, but I told her to smile anyways.
 We told her she could pick where we went for dinner, so she said Mcdonalds happy meal.....well Nick and I really didn't want that so we convinced her to go to this fancy, nice restaurant right on the beach that had some great seafood called Kyllos. We told her she could have pink fish (salmon, her favorite) there and that we'd get Mcdonalds happy meals the next day. 
 We got the perfect spot by the  window and ordered some good seafood. I love that this girls favorite food is salmon and garlic bread. She could eat it for every meal.
 Nick and I's 9th anniversary dinner! We had some amazing crab stuffed halibut. 
 She thought it'd be a good idea to put sugar in her water with lemon. After dinner at the hotel we went swimming and then watched almost all of The Greatest Showman before we fell asleep. Me and her shared a queen bed and I slept awful because the bed was super bouncy and anytime she moved I woke up. 
 The next day I woke up with the start of pink eye.....which got awful. But it wasn't too bad until later that afternoon and on the car ride home. We drove to the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport and had fun watching the otters and seals and learning about all kinds of fish and sea life. 
 We watched them feed the seals and do tricks. 
 The last time Nick and I were here was when we were dating 10 years ago! It was fun to revisit and have all the memories of us dating and how much can happen in 10 years. 
 We had fun touching all the sea life. Kenzie was a little nervous at first, but I'm so glad she decided to touch everything and feel how slimy some of it was. And the sea anemone suction to your fingers when you get close. 
 There aren't seashells at all along the Oregon coast, but there are some awesome Star fish, sea anemone, sea urchins, and other things to touch and look at. I love how bright and colorful some of it is. It's awesome to see such fun colors exist out in the wild. 
 She was nervous to walk through the glass tunnel with sharks and sting rays, but she did it and loved it. It was cool to see the animals from the bottom and top.
 We next visited the Yaquina Lighthouse that is the tallest lighthouse on the Oregon Coast. We weren't able to go up inside, but it was fun to walk around. 
 Me and my love! We love lighthouses.

 We walked down to the beach which was all these big rocks, we kept sliding around and falling walking down to the water. But then we were able to look at and touch the sea anemone and urchins and star fish. 
 There are some sea lions sun bathing to the left on the rocks of this picture. 

 We had fun exploring the tide pools and enjoying the beautiful weather. 
We stopped at Otter Rock where the devils punchbowl is and then we also stopped at the outlets to do a little shopping. But that was when I was feeling pretty miserable and my eye would not stop goobing and I didn't last long there before we decided to head home. It was fun to have Kenzie to ourselves, she sure was talkative and loud and energetic and hyper while we were there. It was so interesting to see her little personality up close. I imagine she was acting how she probably acts with her friends at recess. At home she is usually a little more quiet and reserved and not quite as silly. I wanted to make this a special birthday trip that she would remember and I think we made it happen! I love spending time with my kids, especially one on one time. They need it, I need it, and the memories are priceless. 
 Had to document the start of my pink eye....it got much worse the next few days. I have never had pink eye as an adult, but let me say it was not fun. It was awful and miserable and a lot of laying around doing nothing, which I don't like to do. 
My eye would not stop goobing so I stuck a napkin in my sunglasses and Kenzie thought that that was pretty funny. I love her so much and hope we can make this birthday trip a yearly tradition! I asked her if she'd rather have a friends party or a mom and dad birthday trip and we won! Woohoo.

No comments

Post a Comment